What are wine regions?
- Wine regions are a specific geographic place where wine-growing occurs
- The terroir or ‘sense of place’ is important for win regions
- Historically people did not know their grape varieties however would rather purchase a wine from a specific wine region
What makes a wine region?
- Historically, just good climate, and soil
- In Europe, these have become appellations and in the United States AVAs.
- In Europe, many wine regions have controls on winemaking to control quality, such as grapes to be used, ratios, aging, etc
What are the main wine-growing regions in the world?
- Napa Valley
- Rhone Valley
- Barossa Valley
- And of course many others