What is Sémillon?
- White grape from the Bordeaux region in France
- Pronounced ‘semi-on’
- Third most planted grape in France after Chardonnay and Sauvignon Blanc
- Genetically very close to Sauvignon Blanc and is often blended together as Sauvignon Blanc has a higher acid
- High-end Sémillon can age very well
- Easy to grow, thick-skinned
Where is Sémillon grown?
- Grows well in moderate to warm climates
- Bordeaux, South Africa, and Australia (Hunter Valley, Barossa)
- Can be made in a dry and sweet style
What does Sémillon taste like?
- When young are very fresh
- Has medium to high acid
- Petrol, honey, almonds
- Sémillon Bordeaux is typically oaked
- Low in acid unless picked early
What food goes well with Sémillon?