What is Primitivo / Zinfandel?
- Red grape native to Croatia
- Genetically is the same grape as Zinfandel, extremely close in genetics
- Primi means first in Italian, Primitivo is the first red grape to ripen
- Popular in California for producing Rosé wines where it is called White Zinfandel
- Loves super warm climates
Where is Primitivo / Zinfandel from?
- Originally from Croatia, was brought to Italy and the United States in the late 1800s
- Called Tribidgrag in Croatia
- Best quality Zinfandel is grown in Sonoma, Napa, and Lodi in California
- California produces the most Zinfandel in the world
What does Primitivo / Zinfandel taste like?
- Plumb and Blackberry, cherry, licorice, very ripe dried fruits
- Vanilla, oak if from California
- Big powerful wines with softer tannins
- Low in acid, high alcohol, full body
- Typically quite dry
What food does Primitivo / Zinfandel go well with?
- Italian meat sauce-based dishes and eggplants
- Dark chocolate
- Anchovies in a red sauce
- Generally any Southern Italian